Sport Premium Overview
The government is providing funding for PE and Sports. The aim of this funding is to improve the Physical Education (PE) and Sports programmes offered by primary schools, and is provided jointly by various governmental departments, including Education, Health and Culture, and Media and Sport. Although the funding will be allocated to primary school head teachers, it will be ‘ring fenced’ – this means it can only be spent specifically on PE and sport in schools. You can read more about this under ‘Accountability’ below. The amount of funding due to be received in the 2023/2024 academic year is £17,850
Purpose of Funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, though how they do this remains their decision.
This is how St Thomas’ plans to use the funding:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Buying quality-assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs, breakfast clubs and lunch time clubs.
- Facilitating specialist disability sporting opportunities for identified children.
From September 2013, schools will be held to account for how they spend their additional ‘ring-fenced’ funding. Ofsted will strengthen the coverage of PE and sport within the ‘Inspectors’ handbook’ and supporting guidance so that both schools and inspectors know how sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the school’s overall provision.
Schools will also be required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.